It is a no-brainer that the manufacturing sector is the driving force of any country’s economy. The industry has seen a rapid growth in the last few years and is set to continue on this path, which has led to it becoming a crucial industry that the country should make it a priority to invest in.
For the efficient working of any manufacturing unit, one needs to have a comprehensive idea about the prominent tools that are required to facilitate its functioning:
Programmable Logic Controller: These controllers are basically used for automation of specific processes, machine functions, or an entire production line. It receives information from connected sensors and facilitates outputs based on pre-programmed parameters. A PLC is beneficial in determining and recording run time data, including machine productivity, triggering alarms if machine malfunctions, and controlling the temperature.
- Servo motors: They are utilized in several applications and have been around for a long time in the manufacturing industry. Although small in size, they are very energy-efficient and used to operate remote or radio-controlled products. Their usage is common in robotics, in-line manufacturing, pharmaceutics, industrial applications, and food services.
- Contactors: A contactor is an electrically powered switch that helps in balancing the flow of power and can be operated by electrical, pneumatic, or electro-pneumatic means. They are considered to be essential building blocks in industrial automation and designed precisely to control and suppress the arc produced while interrupting heavy motor currents.
- Limit switches: Controlling the machinery is an essential aspect of any manufacturing unit, which is why the role of limit switches is undeniable. It is essentially an electromechanical device with an ‘n’ actuator, which is linked to a set of contacts. They are used in a variety of functions and applications precisely because of their easy installments, reliability of operation, and ruggedness. It is definitely among the most sought-after forms of technology in the manufacturing unit.
- Push buttons: A push button is a simple, accessible switch that is designed to be user-friendly and can be used for both small and large-scale usage. A push button is generally preferred over a normal switch in manufacturing applications since normal switches cannot withstand high voltage or current like push buttons can. Furthermore, they can be connected to other mechanical functions through mechanical linkages, which provides employees with a greater degree of control.
- Motor starters: A motor starter is a specially-designed electromechanical switch that is primarily used to start and stop the motor to which it is connected. For safe operations, every motor is equipped with a starter. It differs from a relay in that the starter also has overload protection of the motor.
- Variable speed drives (VSDs): Also known as speed drives, VSDs are large electric motors whose speed can be adjusted through an external controller. They are widely used in process control and help in saving energy in power plants that use strong electric motors. It saves precious time and money by adjusting the speed of industrial electrical motors whenever required.